Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Sewing Shirts

I have always done a minimal amount of sewing when it was required for some project I was doing but a couple years ago I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I started to think about taking on something more challenging. In my mind, clothing is the summit of that mountain so that is where I headed. I bought a couple shirt patterns that I liked and got my mom to walk me through it the first time.
It really wasn't as hard as I had expected, as long as I take my time and triple check everything before I cut or sew anything! Once I got throught that first one, I was able to whip out several more in no time at all. The pictures aren't great but you can get the idea.



I really need to take a photo of this one while I'm wearing it because the sleeves are the best part. They are square (kinda like a kimono) so the back of the sleeve hangs way down without covering or interfering with my hand.

I made this one to wear to a friends wedding. It is made from champagne colored satin, belted above the waist, with lace trim down the front and around the sleeves. I added a pretty little pearl button at the top.

This one is made from crinkle gauze so it's really light and comfortable. The bunched sleeves and high belt give it a very Roman look. I hand embroidered the design on the front.



This is the second shirt I made. It's the same as the first but has longer sleeves.


My maiden voyage into the world of making clothes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment