Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Madam le Corset de Gourd

A couple years ago my mom grew some birdhouse gourds. She dried them and set them aside and thought that someday she would make something with them. She finally decided that she wanted to paint some of them so we gathered everything together and got to work. She went straight at it but I couldn't really get inspired or come up with any designs to paint. I just kept ogling the "figure" on the gourd I had choosen and imagining what it would look like all dressed up. I am not one to fight a good idea so I put away the paint and busted out the fabric instead.

Here is my gourd, primed and ready to be painted.

First I had to make a pattern and a test garment from some old tshirt material.


Starting out as a gourd and having that long stem (neck) meant that this doll would look whimsical and surreal without even trying so I choose to go in that direction with the fabric and embellishments.


The corset was a little challenging so once I got it all sewn together I checked it for fit.

I wish now that I had not primed it, but oh well. I painted the exposed areas flesh tone and moved on. I cut a couple other pieces of fabric and made her some under garments and started layering it all together.

I made her a head from clay and painted her up with chalk and added a mole on her cheek.

Next came the hair.

I had thought I was finished with her clothing but when I got to this point I did not like her back so I went rummaging through my stash and came up with some tulle that would work perfectly as a collar. Once I added that I figured she needed some jewelry and a hat.

During this process I realized I had made up my own little piece of sexy medieval slang and that is where she gets her name. "To Corset The Gourd"

0 comments:

Post a Comment