Thursday, October 20, 2011

Scrap Metal Birdhouse

This is how it looked when I bought it for $1.

A little paint on the underside of the roof and then I started covering the whole thing with pieces of metallic clay. I used gold, antique gold, silver, brass and copper.

All kinds of things got pressed into the clay to give it some texture and make it interesting. I also swapped out that cord for some copper wire to hang it from.

Multiple shades of PearlEx powders make the clay look more like metal and give the whole thing a nice shimmer that is very difficult to see in a picture.

For the edges of the roof I rolled out a bunch of tiny pieces of clay and attached them with a little ball point tool.

The roof needed some more layers and then it needed to be texturized and PearlExed.

The other side.

At this point I was almost done adding clay. At the last minute I decided to do a patchwork around the base but once that was done and after everything was baked and cooled I gave it a wash of acrylic paint to make it look old and tarnished. A few twists of copper wire and one tiny crystal bead finished it off.







2 comments:

Karen Gee said...

This is soooooo cool Sandi! You are so very creative. Glad to see you've found a medium (clay) that's also therapeutic. KG

Anonymous said...

OMG, Ive never seen anything done like that with clay. It looks amazing. You are so talented, seriously.
--Karen

Post a Comment