Thursday, March 19, 2009

Bathroom Redecorating



One of the first things I wanted to do when we bought this house was redo the bathrooms. They had this hideous floral wallpaper and the kids who had lived here had drawn in crayon behind the door... it was bad! I found a shower curtain that I fell in love with and used it as my inspiration. It has several shades of red and purple metallic fabric with a viney leaf motif embroidered in gold thread and the whole thing reminds me of a Gypsy Wagon so that is where I'm going with this.

As always, the undoing was the hardest part. I removed the modern mirror and the corner medicine cabinet which took up too much space overhanging the tiny vanity. Then I started pealing wallpaper and realized there was more than one layer with a coat of paint in between. After a couple of days I finally had all the layers off and was down to bare walls. I also had a large hole near the shower where the wall had gotten wet and disintegrated. I patched that up and got to work on the REdo part. I picked out a deep purple color called Grape Jelly for the walls and decided to make custom switch plates for the light switch and electrical outlet.




 I bought a bunch of gold metallic clay and rolled out enough to cover the plates. I texturized it with a swirly pattern and cut out all the holes. Once the clay was cured I watered down some black acrylic paint and got that into all the indentations. It gave the clay a real old tarnished gold look.




Once I had that done they got a couple coats of poly for protection and shine. It looks milky in these photos because it's still wet but when it dries it's perfectly clear.



I liked these so much I decided to go one step further and do the TP holder too!




A few finishing touches and my bathroom looks amazing! I bought some red and purple towels, an antique framed mirror and dispensers that look like things someone picked up on their travels. As soon as I figure out how to take pictures in a bathroom the size of a coffin I will post them here!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always known that you were creative Sandi but wow...I'm really impressed with the clay work. I'm going to have to figure out what to do with my bright white bathroom now...lol

Post a Comment